May 12, 2022
The Japan Foundation
Correction of Result Regarding the Japan Foundation Test for Basic Japanese (JFT-Basic)
1. It has been discovered that an error was made in a scoring-related process for the Japan Foundation Test for Basic Japanese (JFT-Basic) conducted in February and March of this year.
2. As a result, test results were affected as outlined below.
- (1) 77 examinees were notified that they had not achieved a passing score, even though they had actually achieved a passing score.
- (2) In addition to these, changes will be made to the previously notified scores of 586 examinees.
3. Response to examinees
- (1) The 77 examinees who were notified that they did not achieve a passing score and the other 586 examinees whose previously notified scores are subject to change will be contacted individually to inform them of the correct results and offer guidance on re-issue of their notification of assessment results.
- (2) Of the 77 examinees erroneously notified that they did not achieve a passing score, those who applied to retake the test will have their applications cancelled and will be reimbursed for the test fee and related expenses (such as transport costs to and from the test venue).
- (3) Inquiries from examinees regarding this matter will be handled by the Customer Service department of Prometric, the company commissioned to conduct the examination.
- Prometric Customer Service (multi-language support by phone or email)
- [Dedicated contact point for examinees in Japan]
- Phone: 0120-90-7699
- Hours: Weekdays 9 AM to 5 PM (excluding Saturdays, Sundays, and Japanese national holidays)
4. Results of February–March tests
The following changes will be made in response to this matter.
|Number of applicants||Number of examinees||Number of people who achieved a passing score||Passing score achievement rate|
5. Causes and action to prevent recurrence
- (1) The cause of this error was discovered to be a human error that occurred during the scoring process at Prometric.
- (2) In order to prevent similar occurrences in the future, we will instruct and supervise Prometric even more thoroughly, and will work with Prometric and related experts to strengthen the operational management system and checking system for the scoring process.
- (3) We have also confirmed that there have been no similar errors in previous tests.
The Japan Foundation takes this error extremely seriously. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience caused to examinees or any other concerned parties, and we will strive to review and strengthen our systems to prevent any recurrence.
The Japan Foundation, Japanese-Language Dept. Ⅱ, Planning and Development Section
(When sending an e-mail, please replace the full-width "＠" character with a half-width character.)