The Japan Foundation Summer Institute in Japan 2018
This Summer Institute aims to provide opportunities for young researchers and graduate students to improve their research methods and abilities and build a trilateral network of researchers between the U.S., Southeast Asia, and Japan.（Program Flyer (PDF:8.64MB)）
Participants of Summer Institute 2017
Photo Kenichi Aikawa
2. General Information
The Summer Institute will be held as specified below. Further details of the schedule and optional tour will be provided to successful applicants upon selection.
|Dates||Saturday, July 21, 2018 – Wednesday, July 25, 2018|
|Locations||Tokyo and Hayama-machi in Kanagawa Prefecture (Shonan Village Center)|
|Schedule||Please refer to a sample schedule (PDF:27KB)
*Please be aware the actual schedule may differ from this sample schedule.
|Lecturers||Academics from the U.S., Southeast Asia, and Japan in humanities and social sciences|
|Participants||Approximately 24 researchers from the U.S., Southeast Asia, and Japan.|
|Optional tour||Those interested will be able to participate in an optional tour.
Scenes from discussion on a presentation, and conversations between participants (Left to Right)
Photo Kenichi Aikawa
3. Application Instructions
|Eligibility||Applicants must meet all of the following criteria:
|Application Procedure||Please submit the following documents to the Japan Foundation by email
|Deadline||9:30 a.m. (Japan Standard Time) , Monday, May 7, 2018|
|Notes||Application form and attached documents must be completed in English.|
|Result Notification||Results will be announced by Friday, June 8, 2018.|
Scenes from the optional tour to one of the affected areas of the Great East Japan Earthquake in 2011, Kesennuma, Miyagi Prefecture
The Japan Foundation will cover the costs detailed below during the program.
All other costs must be covered by the participants themselves.
For all participants
- (1)Transportation, accommodation, and meals during the program in Tokyo and Hayama.
- (2)Teaching materials and equipment necessary for the program.
- (3)Transportation, accommodation and meals during the optional tour will be covered for participants attending the tour.
For participants from overseas
- (1)Round-trip tickets for a fixed, direct international flight to Japan (economy class).
Tickets will be purchased by the Japan Foundation.
- (2)International travel insurance.
- (3)Visa application fee and other travel costs that the Japan Foundation considers essential and daily per diem allowance according to the number of days of travel.
For participants from Japan
- (1)Round-trip transportation tickets between the railway station nearest to his/her home and Tokyo. Tickets will be purchased by the Japan Foundation.
- (2)Other travel costs that the Japan Foundation considers essential and daily per diem allowance according to the number of days of travel.
5. Obligations of Participants
- (1)Throughout the period of the Summer Institute, participants must stay in the designated institution, and actively participate in the programs offered.
- (2)Participants must submit questionnaires within 1 week after the Summer Institute ends.
- (3)Participants must submit final reports within 1 month after the Summer Institute ends.
6. Other Notes
- (1)Participants may share a guest room with another/other participant(s) during the institute and/or the optional tour. Room assignments will be made by the Japan Foundation.
- (2)No interpreters or guides will be provided during the Summer Institute.
The Japan Foundation
Japanese Studies and Global Partnerships Programs Department
Tel: +81-(0)3-5369-6069 / Fax: +81-(0)3-5369-6041
(When sending an e-mail, please replace the full-width "＠" character with a half-width "@" character.)
- What We Do Top
- Arts and Cultural Exchange [Culture]
- Arts and Cultural Exchange [Culture] Top
- Visual Arts
- Performing Arts
- Film and Broadcast
- Japanese-Language Education Overseas [Language]
- Japanese-Language Education Overseas [Language] Top
- Learn Japanese-language
- Teach Japanese-language
- Take Japanese-Language Test
- Know about Japanese-language education abroad
- The Japanese-Language Institute, Urawa
- The Japanese-Language Institute, Kansai
- Japanese-Language Programs for Foreign Specified Skilled Worker Candidates
- Japanese Language Education for Japanese Children Resident Overseas and for the Descendants of Migrants
- Japanese Studies and Global Partnerships [Dialogue]
- Japanese Studies and Global Partnerships [Dialogue] Top
- Japanese Studies
- Global Partnerships Programs
- JF digital collection
- Other Programs / Programs to Commemorate Exchange Year
- Awards and Prizes