Japanese-Language Programs for Foreign Specified Skilled Worker Candidates
In accordance with the "Comprehensive Measures for Acceptance and Coexistence of Foreign Nationals," the Japan Foundation (JF) has been implementing Japanese-language programs for foreign Specified Skilled Worker candidates since 2019, centered on the four pillars shown in the figure.
Implementation of the Japan Foundation Test for Basic Japanese (JFT-Basic)
The Japan Foundation Test for Basic Japanese (JFT-Basic) is a test that seeks to measure the level of Japanese-language proficiency required by foreign nationals about to reside in Japan mainly for work to communicate in everyday life situations. It is conducted through Computer-Based Testing (CBT).
Countries implementing the test (as of March 2022): the Philippines, Cambodia, Indonesia, Thailand, Myanmar, Nepal, Mongolia, India, Sri Lanka, Uzbekistan, Japan
Development and Public Dissemination of the JF Can-do for Life in Japan, Teaching Materials, etc.
The Japan Foundation has developed teaching materials aimed at helping people to learn the Japanese that is necessary for living and working in Japan, and provides them free of charge on its website.
- "JF Can-do for Life in Japan"
This is a list of basic Japanese-language communication skills stated in a "Can-do" format that are necessary for foreign nationals who are not native speakers of Japanese in their daily lives and work in Japan. It has been developed based on the philosophy and concept outlined in the JF Standard for Japanese-Language Education.
- Japanese-Language Coursebook, Irodori: Japanese for Life in Japan
This is a web-based textbook with learning goals based on "JF Can-do for Life in Japan", and helps people learn practical Japanese by presenting various situations and topics closely related to real life in Japan. It is provided free of charge.
- IRODORI Japanese Online Course
This is a course for acquiring comprehensive Japanese-language skills through self-study, based on Irodori: Japanese for Life in Japan.
Training for Local Japanese-Language Teachers
The Japan Foundation supports the training of local Japanese-language teachers in order to make activities relating to Japanese-language education more effective in each country.
- Japanese Teaching Methods Program for Teachers of Specified Skilled Worker Candidates (held in Japan)
The Japan Foundation invites Japanese-language teachers from institutions and organizations that provide Japanese-language education for Specified Skilled Worker candidates in each country to Japan, and provides training programs in order to deepen their knowledge of the theory and the approach of Japanese-language teaching methodology, as well as improving their ability to teach Japanese that is necessary for living and working in Japan.
- Training Programs in Each Country Run by JF Overseas Offices
Japanese-Language specialists and "Japanese for Life in Japan" coordinators dispatched to each country jointly hold seminars on teaching methods and study groups for Japanese-language teachers of institutions and organizations that provide Japanese-language education for Specified Skilled Worker candidates.
Support for Activities of Local Japanese Language Educational Institution
The Japan Foundation supports the activities of local institutions that provide Japanese-language education through subsidy programs, in order to make Japanese-language education available in more locations in each country.
Disseminating Learning Materials and Information in Multiple Languages
The following contents are developed and published by overseas JF offices, as a way to help those who live in Japan for work etc., to learn Japanese (updated from time to time). You can learn Japanese while reviewing the content in your mother tongue.
- China: For shadowing, Irodori: Japanese for Life in Japan Life Tips Article with voiced audio
- Indonesia: Online seminar video on how to use the Irodori: Japanese for Life in Japan site
- Indonesia: Introductory video of the online course "Japanese ☆ Easy Easy" developed as material for learning Japanese in specialized high schools (Part 1) (Part 2)
- Cambodia: Online Japanese learning platform "TOBIRA"
- Cambodia: Video series introducing the Irodori Online Course (1st installment)
- Thailand: Imagery / video content related to JFT-Basic and Irodori: Japanese for Life in Japan
- Vietnam: 80-second commentary video for Irodori: Japanese for Life in Japan
- Vietnam: How-to-use video for Irodori: Japanese for Life in Japan
- Myanmar: Introductory video for Irodori: Japanese for Life in Japan
- What We Do Top
- Arts and Cultural Exchange [Culture]
- Arts and Cultural Exchange [Culture] Top
- Visual Arts
- Performing Arts
- Film and Broadcast
- Japanese-Language Education Overseas [Language]
- Japanese-Language Education Overseas [Language] Top
- Learn Japanese-language
- Teach Japanese-language
- Take Japanese-Language Test
- Know about Japanese-language education abroad
- The Japanese-Language Institute, Urawa
- The Japanese-Language Institute, Kansai
- Japanese-Language Programs for Foreign Specified Skilled Worker Candidates
- Japanese Language Education for Japanese Children Resident Overseas and for the Descendants of Migrants
- Japanese Studies and Global Partnerships [Dialogue]
- Japanese Studies and Global Partnerships [Dialogue] Top
- Japanese Studies
- Global Partnerships Programs
- JF digital collection
- Other Programs / Programs to Commemorate Exchange Year
- Awards and Prizes