The Japan Foundation introduces overseas audiences to various Japanese performing arts, from the traditional such as Kabuki and Bunraku, to the more modern like pop and folk music, contemporary dance, and theater. It works on international collaborative projects, support artists and art organizations by providing grants and networking opportunities, and manages the website Performing Arts Network Japan.
The Japan Foundation dispatches or provides aid for sending out performance groups in cooperation with local related organizations for the introduction of Japanese stage and performing arts overseas.
The Japan Foundation organizes performance in Japan for the dissemination of international collaborative projects.
By creating single stage productions through collaboration between Japanese and international artists, we aim to foster new value. In addition, by making the process of international productions available for the public, we hope to create opportunities for the public to think about the possibilities of mutual understanding between different cultures.
the Japan Foundation (JF) has started the project “STAGE BEYOND BORDERS—Selection of Japanese Performances,” which presents outstanding Japanese stage performances online.
Joint productions between artists and groups from all the countries of the world are carried out for the purpose of creating new works of art through international exchange.
Exchange of information and the building of networks are encouraged through the operation of a website (Performing Arts Network Japan) concerning the performing arts of Japan and extending support to international performing arts festivals and fairs.
The Japan Foundation supports artists and Japanese culture specialists who participate in cultural events (e.g., performing arts, demonstrations, lectures, and workshops) overseas with the aim of introducing Japanese arts and culture or of contributing to international society through arts and cultural projects.
It also provides financial assistance for performances or co-productions in North America and European countries that aim to introduce Japanese performing arts to local audiences.
- What We Do Top
- Arts and Cultural Exchange [Culture]
- Arts and Cultural Exchange [Culture] Top
- Visual Arts
- Performing Arts
- Film and Broadcast
- Japanese-Language Education Overseas [Language]
- Japanese-Language Education Overseas [Language] Top
- Learn Japanese-language
- Teach Japanese-language
- Take Japanese-Language Test
- Know about Japanese-language education abroad
- The Japanese-Language Institute, Urawa
- The Japanese-Language Institute, Kansai
- Japanese-Language Programs for Foreign Specified Skilled Worker Candidates
- Japanese Language Education for Japanese Children Resident Overseas and for the Descendants of Migrants
- Japanese Studies and Global Partnerships [Dialogue]
- Japanese Studies and Global Partnerships [Dialogue] Top
- Japanese Studies
- Global Partnerships Programs
- JF digital collection
- Other Programs / Programs to Commemorate Exchange Year
- Awards and Prizes