“STAGE BEYOND BORDERS”
—Cross-Border Online Distribution of Outstanding Japanese Stage Performances
“The Cherry Orchard”
(c) SCOT (Suzuki Company of Toga)
(c) Suzuki Jouji
“Noh Climax” Series
Produced by SUGIMOTO Hiroshi and The Japan Foundation
(c) SUGIMOTO Hiroshi and The Japan Foundation All Rights Reserved
In cooperation with Odawara Art Foundation and Himeji City Museum of Art
The Japan Foundation carries out “STAGE BEYOND BORDERS—Selection of Japanese Performances”, which presents outstanding Japanese stage performances online.
The online project “STAGE BEYOND BORDERS—Selection of Japanese Performances” hopes to reach out to theater enthusiasts and encourage more people to connect beyond borders with multilingual subtitles.
The Japan Foundation hopes to cultivate new fan bases for Japanese performing arts while showcasing diverse performances to theater professionals in order to realize overseas performances in the future.
The titles presented through this project cover a wide range of genres, including contemporary theater, dance performance, traditional performing arts and music. All works will have multilingual subtitles in around five languages and can be viewed free of charge on the Japan Foundation's official YouTube channel.
- URL of the venue
- : STAGE BEYOND BORDERS－Selection of Japanese Performances
- Web site
- : https://stagebb.jpf.go.jp/en/
- : The Japan Foundation
|August 5||SCOT||"Electra"||English, French, Russian, Chinese, Indonesian|
|August 12||Company Derashinera||"TOGE"||‐|
|August 19||chelfitsch and FUJIKURA Dai with Klangforum Wien||"Work-In-Progress for Music Theatre Production"||English, French, German, Japanese|
|August 26||Setagaya Public Theatre and Raphaëlle Boitel||"Fierce 5: Behind the Scenes"||English, French, Japanese|
|September 2||SPAC and T2G||"The Cherry Orchard"||English, French, Japanese|
|September 9||Seinendan and Pascal Rambert||"KOTATSU"||English, French, Spanish, Japanese|
|Pascal Rambert and HIRATA Oriza||“KOTATSU: Behind the Scenes”||English, French, Spanish, Japanese|
|September 17||SUGIMOTO Hiroshi||"Noh Climax" Series||English, French, Russian, Spanish, Italian, Japanese|
|January 20||SHIGA Lieko, Merzbow & Balázs Pandi, Richard Pinhas||“Merzbow, Balázs Pándi & Richard Pinhas with Lieko Shiga: ‘Bipolar’ ”||‐|
|February 3||NAKASHIMA Makoto and Nicholas Viselli||“Ctrl L / A difference of Beauty”||English, French,Korean, Spanish, Japanese|
|“Breaking Barriers Through Theatre: To Make the World More Vibrant”||English, Japanese|
|February 17||Apichatpong Weerasethakul & SAKAMOTO Ryuichi||“A Conversation with the Sun (VR)”||English, Japanese|
|February 24||Dumb Type||“AUDIO VISUAL LIVE 2022: remix”||‐|
|March 10||Gyozan-ryu Mitobe Deer Dance (Shishi Odori) Preservation Group, SHIRASAKI Emi, YOTSUKURA Yukihiko, Boom Pam||“Boom Pam and The Spirit of Tohoku”||English, Hebrew, Japanese|
|March 17||Company Derashinera||“Hourglass”||English, Chinese, Korean. Japanese|
|March 24||WADA Nagara & Sankar Venkateswaran||“Goodbye, and good wishes for your success - a response to Annihilation of Caste - a speech prepared by Dr. B.R. Ambedkar at the invitation of Jat-Pat Todak Mandal of Lahore in 1936 but NOT DELIVERED owing to the withdrawal of the invitation because the organising committee found the contents of the speech unbearable.”||English, German, Arabic, Japanese|
|March 31||SUZUKI Konomi||“The Best Night in Kuala Lumpur - Following Suzuki Konomi from Japan to Malaysia”||English, Bahasa Malaysia, Spanish, Arabic, Japanese|
- 1.The above is the planned list as of July 2022. Changes may be made later on the date of transmission, artists, subtitles, etc.
- 2.Some dance projects do not have subtitles. Chinese subtitles are in both simplified and traditional Chinese.
- 3.Subtitles of languages other than English may be uploaded later than the release date due to the production situation.
- 4.The release period of the works transmitted in this project will vary according to the work. Please confirm the period of transmission on the above-mentioned special website..
Click the link below to see the released title list.
Shin (Ms.), Kondo (Ms.),
Performing art section, Arts and Culture Dept., The Japan Foundation
(When sending an e-mail, please replace the full-width "＠" character with a half-width character.)
- What We Do Top
- Arts and Cultural Exchange [Culture]
- Arts and Cultural Exchange [Culture] Top
- Visual Arts
- Performing Arts
- Film and Broadcast
- Japanese-Language Education Overseas [Language]
- Japanese-Language Education Overseas [Language] Top
- Learn Japanese-language
- Teach Japanese-language
- Take Japanese-Language Test
- Know about Japanese-language education abroad
- The Japanese-Language Institute, Urawa
- The Japanese-Language Institute, Kansai
- Japanese-Language Programs for Foreign Specified Skilled Worker Candidates
- Japanese Language Education for Japanese Children Resident Overseas and for the Descendants of Migrants
- Japanese Studies and Global Partnerships [Dialogue]
- Japanese Studies and Global Partnerships [Dialogue] Top
- Japanese Studies
- Global Partnerships Programs
- JF digital collection
- Other Programs / Programs to Commemorate Exchange Year
- Awards and Prizes