The Invitation Program for Professionals in Performing Arts 2023
The Japan Foundation will invite professionals at the forefront of the performing arts world in South Korea, Spain, Turkey, Australia, and Singapore, including the directors of influential performing arts festivals and theaters in the five countries, to Japan. This program is aimed at deepening understanding of Japanese performing arts overseas and facilitating the formation of networks among people involved in performing arts in the respective countries.
On December 14, 2023, a talk event will be held as part of the Yokohama International Performing Arts Meeting (YPAM), featuring professionals invited from three of the countries—festival directors from South Korea, Spain, and Turkey. They will share the new discoveries they have made during their visit to Japan and engage in dialogue regarding the future of performing arts exchanges.
|South Korea||Choi Seok Kyu||Seoul Performing Arts Festival (SPAF) 2022-2026||Artistic director||December 8-14, 2023|
|Spain||Angel Murcia||Veranos de la Villa||Artistic director||December 8-15, 2023|
|Turkey||Handan Uzal Dündar||Istanbul Theatre Festival||Programming & Operations Manager||December 9-18, 2023|
|Australia||Emma Porteus||Assembly 197||Co-Creative Director||December 7-13, 2023|
|Situate Art in Festivals||Executive Produce|
|Alex Wisser||Cementa Festival||Co-Founder,
|December 6-15, 2023|
|Kandos School of Cultural Adaptation||Co-Founder|
|Singapore||Sara Joan Fang||Esplanade -Theatres on the Bay||Head of the Children and
|January 10-17, 2024|
Choi Seok Kyu (South Korea)
Artistic director of Seoul Performing Arts Festival (SPAF) 2022-2026
- Seoul Performing Arts Festival (SPAF) 2022-2026：http://spaf.or.kr/2023_eng/index.php
- Performing Arts Market in Seoul (PAMS)：https://en.pams.or.kr/main.asp
- Asian Producers’ Platform and APP Camp：https://www.asianproducersplatform.com/
Angel Murcia (Spain)
Artistic director of Veranos de la Villa
He has been an executive producer and cultural events manager since 1989, both in the public and private sectors. Besides serving as executive producer for various production companies, he has worked as a production manager for the Barcelona and Valencia City Councils, La Abadía theatre in Madrid, the Madrid Regional Government (Comunidad Autónoma de Madrid), and the Spanish Ministry of Culture. Actually, he is the Artistic Director of Veranos de la Villa, organized by the Madrid City Council from 2020.
He has always combined his work as a producer and cultural manager with teaching Production and Management in Performing Arts, where he has focused on the public sector. He has given classes in masters courses at the Ortega y Gasset University Institute, La Fábrica and Factoria Cultural, and he has led training courses for the Technology Centre for the Performing Arts (Spanish ministry of Culture, Education and Sports). He has also lectured in Spain and in South America for the Spanish Agency for International Development Cooperation (AECID), and for the National Institute of Performing Arts and Music (INAEM); he was invited by the China Central Academy of Drama (ACAD) to give a lecture on operation and management of theatre groups at the International Forum of Theatre Group Management.
- Veranos de la Villa：https://www.veranosdelavilla.com/en
Handan Uzal Dündar (Turkey)
Programming & Operations Manager of the Istanbul Theatre Festival
Handan Uzal Dündar graduated from the Ege University, Department of Radio, TV & Cinema of the Communication Faculty in 2006. Upon graduation, she lived in France for six months to further her language skills. In 2007, she moved to Istanbul, where she worked for various production companies as assistant director in TV shows and advertisements.
She joined the Istanbul Foundation for Culture and Arts (İKSV) in 2010 and after gaining professional experience in different departments of the foundation for a year, she became a permanent member of the Istanbul Theatre Festival in 2011. Since then, she has been in the team organising the most prestigious and biggest scale performing arts event in Turkey.
As of 2022, Handan Uzal is the Manager of the Istanbul Theatre Festival, responsible for both programming and operations, working alongside a curator that changes every two years. She is also responsible for the Gülriz Sururi – Engin Cezzar Theatre Encouragement Award, granted annually by the İKSV.
- Istanbul Theatre Festival：https://tiyatro.iksv.org/en
Emma Porteus (Australia)
Co-Creative Director of Assembly 197, Executive Producer of Situate Art in Festivals
Alex Wisser (Australia)
Co-Founder and Creative Director of Cementa Festival, Co-Founder of Kandos School of Cultural Adaptation
- Cementa Festival：https://cementa.com.au/
- Kandos School of Cultural Adaptation：https://www.ksca.land/
Sara Joan Fang (Singapore)
Head of the Children and Youth Programming at Esplanade - Theatres on the Bay
Sara is a fan of Japanese arts and artists – in 2016, she organized Super Japan, Esplanade’s first country-focused festival which spanned 10 days and saw 120 programs, 560 artists and over 150,000 audiences. She hopes to find future collaborative opportunities between Japan and Singapore artists through this visiting program.
- Esplanade -Theatres on the Bay：https://www.esplanade.com/
- March On Festival：https://www.esplanade.com/whats-on/festivals-and-series/festivals/2023/march-on
Performing Arts Section, Arts and Culture Dept., The Japan Foundation
(When sending an e-mail, please replace the full-width "＠" character with a half-width character.)
- What We Do Top
- Arts and Cultural Exchange [Culture]
- Arts and Cultural Exchange [Culture] Top
- Visual Arts
- Performing Arts
- Film and Broadcast
- Japanese-Language Education Overseas [Language]
- Japanese-Language Education Overseas [Language] Top
- Learn Japanese-language
- Teach Japanese-language
- Take Japanese-Language Test
- Know about Japanese-language education abroad
- The Japanese-Language Institute, Urawa
- The Japanese-Language Institute, Kansai
- Japanese-Language Programs for Foreign Specified Skilled Worker Candidates
- Japanese Language Education for Japanese Children Resident Overseas and for the Descendants of Migrants
- Japanese Studies and Global Partnerships [Dialogue]
- Japanese Studies and Global Partnerships [Dialogue] Top
- Japanese Studies
- Global Partnerships Programs
- JF digital collection
- Other Programs / Programs to Commemorate Exchange Year
- Awards and Prizes