The Japan Foundation Indo-Pacific Partnership Program (JFIPP Research Fellowship)
The Japan Foundation (JF) is pleased to announce a new fellowship program, the Japan Foundation Indo-Pacific Partnership (JFIPP) Research Fellowship, with the purpose of building partnerships and intellectual networks in the Indo-Pacific region.
Overview and Objectives of the Program
This program is designed to promote international research and collaborative activities on common policy issues that require cooperation and engagement within and beyond the Indo-Pacific region, with the purpose of contributing to the maintenance and strengthening of a free and open international order in the Indo-Pacific region, bringing about peace and prosperity to the entire region.
The program aims to encourage a new generation of researchers, experts, and practitioners who share the same concerns to build a new platform for intellectual cooperation, and to support the formulation of new policy proposals, visions, and initiatives from the Indo-Pacific region with a long-term, future-oriented perspective to contribute to resolving the issues.
Application for FY2023 fellowship (Deadline: August 18, 2023 (Friday) noon (Japan Time))
Please refer to Program Guidelines for more information.
Eligibility of Applicants:
Applicants must meet all of the following criteria:
- a.Applicants must be citizens of Japan, Australia, India, or the U.S.A., or must have at least five years of strong and serious professional experience at an institution in one of these four countries.
- b.Researchers must hold a Ph.D. or the highest academic degree in their field of expertise. Non-research professionals must have a total of seven or more years of work experience in a field related to their proposed research.
Field of research:
- We are accepting applications for policy-oriented projects that contribute to the maintenance and strengthening of a free and open international order in the Indo-Pacific region, bringing about peace and prosperity to the entire region.
These projects should address current and future issues facing the Indo-Pacific region and the wider world today that invite regional connectivity and collaboration.
- Possible topics for the Fellowship might include, but are not limited to, climate change, global health, disaster prevention and recovery, mitigating social and economic disparity, demographic shifts, economic security, energy and food security, maritime cooperation (such as maritime law), cyber security, digital transformation, and green transformation.
We also welcome other issues that encourage collaboration across the region.
- JFIPP Fellowship is designed for multi-country research, and in principle, proposals must include at least two countries for research activities other than the applicant’s country of origin.
（Fellows are required to have a host institution(s) or local collaborator(s) for each country in which they will stay.）
- a.The Fellowship can cover between 4-12 months of research. Fellowship period must begin between January 1 and December 31, 2024.
- b.The Fellowship tenure period may be divided into two blocks, if necessary, but must be completed within 15 months of the start of the fellowship. At least half of the fellowship tenure period must be in Japan for non-Japan-based fellows or in one of the other three countries (Australia, India, or the U.S.A.) for Japan-based fellows.
Benefits of the Fellowship：
The Fellowship will cover the following expenses:
- a.Round-trip discount economy class international airfare (only for Fellow)
- b.Accommodation and research allowance
- c.A one-time lump-sum payment for relocation expenses
- d.Additional allowance for dependent family members that accompany the fellow overseas for a minimum of 3 continuous months
- e.Overseas travel insurance (please see guidelines for specific details)
- (1)Application deadline: August 18, 2023 (Friday) noon (Japan Time)
- (2) How to apply:
- a.Download the application documents from the links below.
- b.Submit the following application documents (a)-(d) by email attachment to JFIPP_research＠jpf.go.jp. (When sending an e-mail, please enter a half-width character instead of a full-width character "＠.")
For efficient processing, please include “JFIPP Fellowship Application” in the subject line of the email:
- (a)Application form (Form A)
- (b)Project Proposal (Form B)
- (c)Curriculum Vitae or Resume (free format)
- (d)Two Reference Letters (Form C) – directly submitted by referees/recommenders
- (3)Notification of results: November 2023.
Number of Awardees: 20 (TBD)
Program Guidelines / Application Forms：
Please refer to the FAQs for more information.
Secretariat of JFIPP Fellowship Program
Global Partnerships Department
The Japan Foundation (JF)
(When sending an e-mail, please replace the full-width "＠" with a half-width character.)
- What We Do Top
- Arts and Cultural Exchange [Culture]
- Arts and Cultural Exchange [Culture] Top
- Visual Arts
- Performing Arts
- Film and Broadcast
- Japanese-Language Education Overseas [Language]
- Japanese-Language Education Overseas [Language] Top
- Learn Japanese-language
- Teach Japanese-language
- Take Japanese-Language Test
- Know about Japanese-language education abroad
- The Japanese-Language Institute, Urawa
- The Japanese-Language Institute, Kansai
- Japanese-Language Programs for Foreign Specified Skilled Worker Candidates
- Japanese Language Education for Japanese Children Resident Overseas and for the Descendants of Migrants
- Japanese Studies and Global Partnerships [Dialogue]
- Japanese Studies and Global Partnerships [Dialogue] Top
- Japanese Studies
- Global Partnerships Programs
- JF digital collection
- Other Programs / Programs to Commemorate Exchange Year
- Awards and Prizes